If you have a room that does not have central AC, and it is not possible to install it, you will need to try other cooling methods. For example, you can stand in a bowl of ice all day. Perhaps you can take frequent cold showers. Do you have a membership to a pool? Maybe you can go there. Otherwise, you may want to consider installing a window AC for your space.
Avoid sweating it out with a top-performing window AC. After all, there are ways to avoid the awful heat. For details on a new window air conditioner for your room, keep reading here. In addition, the TRUST Heating & Air experts will go over the factors you’ll need to consider when looking for the unit in the following article.
Improvements to the Window AC
Do you remember the “window shaker” units of the past? Then, you probably have no desire to have one ever again. They were noisy and relatively inefficient. What’s more, they didn’t even work very well. However, the new models available for purchase are much better in several ways.
- They have a better fan and compressor design than those older units. With the energy savings switch, you can save even more.
- Window ACs are much more energy-efficient than the older ones.
- They can easily be plugged into an existing outlet.
- Toda’sToda’s units are not just one size. They fit in many size windows and even pretty small ones.
- And, they even have remote controls and smartphone apps for easier management.
- Some have a sleep mode setting allowing the temperature to adjust for your nighttime preferences.
- There are automatic timers on the units for different times of the day when you may not be home and for your return.
- They have “check filter” lights reminding you to check it regularly.
- Specific units will have an oscillating vent to move air throughout the room.
Finding the Right Window AC for Your Space:
If you are ready to escape the sweltering heat and get that window AC installed, here are some tips for your purchase. First, ensure your system has the following requirements and the features listed above; you feel essential for the comfort and functionality of your space.
- First things first, you will need to determine the size of the unit your room requires. Measure the amount of square footage you need to cool and how much sunlight will be penetrating during the hot hours of the day.
- Then figure out what size unit your window can handle. Measure the window and whether it opens halfway or entirely.
- Check all available reviews on the systems your HVAC specialist or salesperson recommends. Try Consumer Reports, Amazon reviews, and the like.
- Next, determine the unit’s energy efficiency rating and see if it is up to the standards you feel necessary.
- Check the warranties for each unit you are considering. The unit should last ten years, so you would want the contract to cover half to a lifetime.
- Are there replacement parts readily available for the unit? Be sure you ask how the company’s service department handles calls for help.
- Will you be installing the window AC, or will you need an installer? If you want to do it yourself. Pull out the manual and be sure you have the right tools and know-how.
Then, once you have discovered the perfect fit for your space, you are ready for purchase.
Suggestions from Reputable Sources
In a recent article on Good HouseKeeping.com, there is a list of the top-rated Window ACs for keeping you cool in the summer months. Here is what it says, broken down by category.
- “Best Overall Window Air Conditioner: LG LW8016ER Energy Star Window Air Conditioner
- Best Value Window Air Conditioner: Kenmore 87050 Window Mini-Compact Air Conditioner
- Easiest to Install Window Air Conditioner: Frigidaire FFRA0511R1 Window-Mounted Air Conditioner
- Best Smart Window Air Conditioner: GE Energy Star Window Smart Room Air Conditioner
- Best Window Air Conditioner for Large Rooms: Frigidaire Cool Connect Smart Window Air Conditioner”
Additionally, you can read Better Homes & Garden’sGarden’s recommendations with some different criteria here:
- “Best for Small Spaces: Frigidaire White Energy Star 5,000 BTU
- Best Affordable Option: Cool-Living 5,000 BTU
- Best for Sliding Windows: Frigidaire 8,000 BTU 115V Slider
- Best for No Noise: Midea U Inverter 8,000 BTU
- Best for Low-Profile Windows: LG Smart Window Air Conditioner 8,000 BTU
- Best With Heat: Koldfront WAC8001W 8,000 BTU
- Best Mini Design: Midea Window 5,000 BTU
- Best Smart Option: Frigidaire 10000 BTU Cool Connect
- Best Energy-Efficient Option: GE Smart Window Air Conditioner 10,000 BTU
- Best Lightweight Option: Frigidaire Window-Mounted Air Conditioner
- Best for Large Spaces: Haier 18,000 BTU”
Should you still have a question, give us a call at TRUST Heating & Air. We would be happy to point you in the right direction.
Most Frequently Asked Questions About Window ACs
At TRUST Heating & Air, we get these questions all the time. So we have put together a few of the most frequent to help you further in your quest for cool air.
Is a window AC or a portable AC better? In most cases, a window AC is the best choice. Since they mount in the window, they will not take up usable floor space. They vent right to the outside, and they are quieter. And often, they cost less than a bulky floor unit.
How do you find the right size window AC unit? The measurement for BTUs is on the box. The larger the room, the higher the BTU rating should be. Take the measurements suggested above to your salesperson for a diagnosis.
Can a Window AC unit be considered energy efficient? The EER will tell you just what you need to know about the efficiency of a product. The higher the number, the more efficient it will be. And don’t forget to use the energy-saver switch to maximize the process.
Trust our Team for AC Advice, Installation, and AC Repair
There are those times when a new AC is needed. In that case, you know whom to call. And when a repair is necessary, TRUST Heating & Air will respond quickly and get it taken care of in no time. Our technicians receive cutting-edge training that benefits homeowners as we install, repair, or maintain all residential and commercial HVAC systems. So you can rest assured that you are in good hands with Trust.
Trust’s teams arrive in fully stocked trucks, prepared to get that repair or installation done effectively and quickly at your convenience. And for installation, we will do our best to accommodate your busy schedule. As a homeowner, you couldn’t ask for more!