Want to know how to hire the best HVAC contractor in your local area? Keep reading, and we will help you figure out how to find the best.
When you’re looking for an HVAC contractor, you have a lot of choices. And since an HVAC installation or repair can cost a considerable amount of money, you want to be sure you choose the best contractor available. So how is a homeowner to decide just who that is?
First, find out the model of your current system and its maintenance history so you can give this information to the HVAC contractor to discuss your options.
Tips for Hiring the Best HVAC Contractor
Here is a list of things to consider when looking for your perfect contractor:
- Ask about how long the company has been in business. While the length of operation alone won’t tell you how reputable a company is, it does show that it is established and has been around for a while.
- Look at the company’s website. Does it reflect a reputable, organized business that has made an investment in being professional and providing excellent customer service?
- Ask for references, and follow up by calling them, asking about job satisfaction and if the job was completed on time.
- Check online references, such as Angie’s List, an online directory with crowd-sourced reviews, and Yelp, a crowd-sourced review forum.
- Look at online review websites like Better Business Bureau (BBB). HomeAdvisor has a service where you can find a reputable contractor in your area. They have a comprehensive screening process and over two million verified pro reviews.
- Ask around to your neighbors, friends, and family. Facebook has neighborhood sites now, and that is a great place to ask for a good referral.
- Ask about certifications. Beyond the necessary training in HVAC, certifications are available in the industry that shows a technician has reached a certain level of expertise.
License, Insurance, and Bond
- Ask about the company’s licensing, insurance, and bonding.
- Make sure the HVAC contractor makes a reasonable estimate for work inspecting your HVAC system in person.
- The HVAC contractor should spend significant time inspecting your current system to assess your needs.
- Get it in writing.
24/7 Emergency Service & Same Day Service
- Air Conditioners can be unpredictable, and that is why it is important to work with a company that is available when you need them – weekends and/or nights too.
- Ask if they are available 24/7 for emergencies?
- Do they guarantee the repairs? That will make them fix it correctly the first time, so they don’t have to come out again on their dime.
- HVAC systems can be a significant investment. Find out if they offer financing to make the purchase a little easier to handle.