With most of the U.S. Map experiencing teeth-chattering record cold lows this winter, many people may need a little help staying toasty warm with space heaters. Space heaters can be good for heating up a room without gas or propane but it can also become a danger quickly causing home destruction with fires.
If you are one of the ones pulling out the space heater, read through this list of do’s and don’ts so you stay warm AND safe this winter.
- Space heaters should be Underwriters Listed (UL) or Electrical Testing Laboratories (ETL)approved.
- Only use space heaters that are ground fault protected.
- Space heater should have a tip-over switch.
- Space heater should be 36 inches away from any type of material or objects.
- Only purchase a space heater with a timer to avoid space heater running while unattended.
- Buy a space heater appropriate to the size of the room you are attempting to heat to avoid overheating.
- Make sure space heater is always on a flat surface.
- Keep space heaters away from exits and other paths of travel.
- Space heaters should not be used in wet areas.
- Keep children away from space heaters.
- Keep pets away from space heaters.
- Make sure to have a properly working carbon monoxide and smoking detector in the same room with the space heater.
- To prevent freeze ups, doors and windows should be closed during space heater use.
- Look for a space heater that has a built-in thermostat, which will help you easily monitor the temperature in the room.
- Never use a space heater with missing parts.
- Do not leaveyour heater running overnight while you sleep.
- Leavinga heater on overnight or unattended not only creates a potential safety risk, but it can also dry out your skin and nasal passages.
- Never plug a space heater into an extension cord.
- Do not let kids and animals near them. Treat your space heater like a lit match.
- Never place clothing on top of space heater.
By following the guidelines above, space heaters can be a safe and efficient way to provide heat and comfort this winter.
Contact the pros at TRUST Heating & Air to discuss savings tips and free estimates. We have 24/7 Emergency Services. Just call us at 678-926-9676 to come out and resolve the problem.